School Rowing in Tasmania
School rowing in Tasmania can be traced back to the early days of Hobart in the 19th century. David Young in his book Sporting Island writes:
The sons of well-to-do Tasmanians were catered for by a number of private schools that sought to emulate their illustrious English models. Of these, the City School, Hobart, was one of the most progressive. Its headmaster, H M Pike, was of the Muscular Christian persuasion, firmly believing that education should be aimed at the body as well as the min
In 1874 he organised a school boating club, for which Whitehouse Brothers of Battery Point provided a shed and boats. Crews of boys were selected and put into training. The City School Rowing Club held its first races in July 1874, and the following March held a regatta at Castray Esplanade. There were four races, including a 4-mile old scholars' race for four-oared boats. Thereafter, the City School's regattas were held annually and provided valuable training for many who would become Hobart's leading 'knights of the ash'.*
* David Young, "Sporting Island: A history of sport and recreation in Tasmania", 2005, Sport and Recreation Tasmania, p. 139.