James W Peter AM QC
Melbourne University Boat Club (VIC)
James was a lightweight oarsman of note but not one who figured in Australian teams. He was also a successful coach, including being an Australian team coach in 1990, and is currently a successful masters rower. He has also made a significant contribution off the water also using his exceptional legal skills on the Australian rowing appeals panel.
James (front left) with his 1990 coxed four at the 1990 World Championships
In 2019, he became a Member of the Order of Australia primarily due to his legal work. His biographical record for that award was as follows:
- President, 2014-2015.
- Trustee, Barrister Benevolent Fund, 2014-2015.
- Honorary Treasurer, 2012-2013.
- Council Member, 2011-2015.
- Member, Ethics Committee, 2008-2014.
- Mentor/Pupil Master, 10 years.
Other Legal Service
- Queen's Counsel, since 2003.
- Barrister, since 1987.
- Mentor, University of Melbourne Law School, 2014 and 2016.
Melbourne University Boat Club
- Vice-President, 1983-1996.
- Past Captain of Boats.
- Supporter, Melbourne International Arts Festival.
Compiled by Andrew Guerin, June 2020