George M C Lupton
Yarra Yarra Rowing Club (VIC)
George Marmaduke Clayton Lupton - 27 June 1861 (City Rd), Middlesex, England - 25 January 1943 Caulfield Hospital, Victoria, Australia.
On 21 Aug 1886 George voyaged to Australia as an assisted migrant and listed his occupation as a clerk. The ship was called the Ilona and docked first at Adelaide and then Melbourne, Sydney.
George became a noted and clearly very effective administrator of the sport in Victoria, initially at Yarra Yarra Rowing Club, and then at the Victorian Rowing Association where he held the position of Vice-President. Newspaper reports indicated that he was obviously a trusted pair of hands to deal with difficult situations. He was also a respected boat race official starting Victorian State Championship races.
1890 - Assistant Hon. Secretary, Yarra Yarra Rowing Club1
1891-94 - Hon. Secretary, Yarra Yarra Rowing Club2,3
1893 - Delegate to Victorian Rowing Association4
1896 - Victorian Sculling Championship, starter5
1898-02 - Hon. Treasurer, Upper Yarra Regatta Association6
1903 - Chairman of the Upper Yarra Ragatta Association and noted as "mainspring of the Upper Yarra amateur regatta committee for a great many season".7
1902-06 - Vice-President Yarra Yarra Rowing Club8
1908-12 - Vice-President of Rowing Victoria (then Victorian Rowing Association)
Outside his rowing activities, George was a clerk for Connell's Wine Merchants, Melbourne for all of his working life in Melbourne.9
- Age (Melbourne, Vic. : 1854 - 1954), Monday 22 September 1890, page 7
- Australasian (Melbourne, Vic. : 1864 - 1946), Saturday 17 September 1892, page 28 and email from Peter Gill 29 August 2021
- Herald (Melbourne, Vic. : 1861 - 1954), Thursday 23 March 1893, page 3
- Argus (Melbourne, Vic. : 1848 - 1957), Tuesday 12 December 1893, page 3
- Age (Melbourne, Vic. : 1854 - 1954), Monday 23 November 1896, page 6
- Leader (Melbourne, Vic. : 1862 - 1918, 1935), Saturday 5 November 1898, page 17
- Australasian (Melbourne, Vic. : 1864 - 1946), Saturday 15 August 1903, page 21
- Weekly Times (Melbourne, Vic. : 1869 - 1954), Saturday 13 September 1902, page 28
- Email from descendant Carol Kelly, 29th August 2021 - also provided image of George Lupton.