George C Clauscen
Yarra Yarra Rowing Club (VIC)
1899 - Elected Patron of Yarra Yarra Rowing Club
He was the Founder Clauscen group of furniture stores.
From newspaper clippings on his death, in the rowing news section, he stated was an influential man in the community.
Museums Victoria hold a commemorative medallion which names George Clauscen whilst Mayor of Fitzroy. They report:
George Christian Clauscen (originally Clausen) was a Danish-born furniture retailer who ran a chain of stores, including one in Smith Street that survived into the 20th century. He was also a Northcote councillor and was mayor of Fitzroy in 1886-87. In 1887 J. Grigg took over as mayor, but not before Clauscen had been named on a medal produced to celebrate the golden jubilee of Queen Victoria. The medal was distributed by Clauscen at a children's carnival.
Clauscen Street, Fitzroy, was named in his honour.
One of his stores was situated at 131 Bourke Street Melbourne
One of his legacies to rowing arose from when the lands department wished to move the rowing clubs upstream to near “Brandon’s Ferry”, which was located near Punt Road. He persuaded the lands department to let them stay where they were near Princes Bridge. He also selected the prime position for the Yarra shed, an 1886 map that we have located shows the shed located on St Kilda road behind the present sheds. The land behind the current rowing sheds was a lagoon at that time. There is no evidence that he rowed but was a generous donor to the club, with many a party at his residence in “Sunnyside” in Northcote. There are photos showing Yarra members at his home in Northcote where he entertained them on many occasions. e do have photos of a crew in the lagoon.
He was another of the patrons who did not row.
Prior to being patron he was President for 16 years not our longest serving president but close to it. In the period where Yarra was the premier club with its crews winning numerous Victorian championship races in fours and eights.