Skip navigation

Rowing Victoria

Table of Contents

  1. Introduction
  2. Rowing in a young Victoria
  3. Formation of the Association
  4. Growth of the Sport 1876-1889
  5. Years of great success 1890-1899
  6. The rise of Henley on the Yarra 1900-1909
  7. The War Years 1910-1919
  8. Women's rowing and the modern era 1920-1929
  9. The Depression years 1930-1939
  10. War and rebuilding 1940-1949
  11. Expansion years 1950-1959
  12. The search for international success 1960-1969
  13. Combining the Associations and lightweight success 1970-1979
  14. The new national program 1980-1989
  15. Golden years 1990-1999
  16. Professionalism 2000-2009
  17. Yet More Growth 2010-2019


  1. Life Membership and other important awards
  2. Patrons and Presidents
  3. Office Bearers
  4. Clubs and their histories
  5. The Oarsmen's Centotaph and WWI Roll of Honour
  6. WWII Roll of Honour
  7. Premierships
  8. State Championships
  9. Hall of Fame Inductees
  10. Victorian Olympians
  11. International representation
  12. Intercolonial and Interstate Racing
  13. School rowing
  14. University rowing
  15. Personalities of the sport

Appendix 5. Roll of Honour WWI

Appendix 5 page 1 2

Members of Victorian Rowing Clubs who served in The Great War.

In 1919, the then President of Rowing Victoria Henry Gyles Turner wrote:
The members of the various rowing clubs who were affiliated with the Victorian Rowing Association numbered at the outbreak of the war 2,117; of these no less than 1,261 men in the prime of physical life—heard and voluntarily answered to the call of duty, not waiting for any idle talk about conscription. Surely such a stimulating record is justifiably a source of pride in the Association to which we belong, and it should never be forgotten. It is therefore intended to erect on the site where oarsmen are wont to foregather a permanent memorial to the memory of those members of that gallant contingent who fell in the desperate struggle for the world's freedom, sealing with their life's blood their devotion to a noble cause.

Let us dwell on their sacrifice to the nation and the extent of carnage to the sport in Victoria:
2,117 registered members before the war.
1,261 enlisted.
320 did not return.

The following information originated from the list prepared by John Lang in 1919 and has been enhanced by information from Clubs.

Military Orders and Decorations - Abbreviations.

Order of the Bath—Military Companions—C.B.
Companions of the Distinguished Service Order—D.S.O.
Meritorious Service Medal—M.S.M.
Military Cross—M.C.
Military Medal—M.M.
Colonial Auxiliary Forces, Officer's Decoration (sometimes called Victoria Decoration)—V.D.
Order of the British Empire

  • Knight Commander—K.B.E.
  • Commander—C.B.E.
  • Officer—O.B.E.
  • Member—M.B.E.

(Those names which are bolded are those who died in the Great War.)

Albert Park Rowing Club

A. W. Asker W. J. Henderson C. McKenzie
R. Beeancor C. Jacobs B. McMinn
E. J. Boyd T. Johnson S. Pedder, D.C.M.
R. Brownridge A. King R. Ralph
K. W. Crabbe V. F. Langford R. Reardon
L. Daniel M. J. Last W. Steinle
L. Davis C. P. Leslie J. Stewart
H. S. Dickinson C. London T. Thornton
S. A. Ditchburn R. London L. Vawfynice
H. Duncan C. D. Monteath, M.C. H. J. Whiting*
H. A. Fleming A. J. McBride J. Williams
A. G. Fletcher L. H. McBrien  
J. Haley P. McFarlane  
J. S. Harrison G. McIlrey, M.C. *Also in University list

Antwerp Rowing Club

James A. Davidson James Hook, M.M. Richard Matthews
Albert Elliott, M.M. James Johnson Michael Scanlon
William Ferry Alfred G. Kühne  

Bairnsdale Rowing Club

L. P. Andrews
R. D Ennis R. J. Moss, M.C.
A. W. Battye M.M. G. H. Evans T. J. S. McDonald
M. A. Beaton E. F. D. Fethers A. A. McMichael,
A. J. Boyd G. V. S. Gaylor A. Pearce
C. S. Boyle B. E. Gibney
R. Potter
A. C. Brabet W. Grant A. Rennie
J. C. Bull A. M. Green E. J. Savage
H. J. Burgess A. L. Hemley M.S.M. J. L. Shannon
J. T. Campbell G. M. Holly C. L. Sharrow
J. L. Commins R. W. Hosie G. S. Sibbin
C. J. Cooper A. Hurley
J. M. Sibbin
K. C. Corney
C. R. Jeffreys J. Smith
F. H. Crooke John D. Jeffreys F. V. Ternes
G. G. Day M.S.M. W. I. Jennings
F. M. Tilson
J. S. Deam
N. C. Johnson A. Tingate
W. Deam P. C. King F. S. Towner
A. V. Dean C. W. R. Laird M. J. Towner
F. B. Duke D. S. Lawrence W. Twitchett
R. T. R. Dunbar, M.M.
A. Lloyd
W. Wallace
H. J. Duncan J. W. Lush E. H. D. White
K. T. Duncan W. H. Mathieson W. Wilson
L. G. Duncan J. Moore K. R. Witt
R. H. Ennis L. Morrison F. C. Yeates

T/SGT A.W. Battye 3020 M.M.
Died of wounds Belgium 5 October 1917 Aged 28 years
Albert Willkinson Battye was a bank accountant in Bairnsdale and enlisted on 24 July 1915. He was in Alexandria and Marseille before being wounded in May 1917 with gunshot to hands; in September with gunshot to head before fatal wounds in October when he died at the 2nd Canadian Casualty Clearing Station. He had been awarded a Military Medal on 28 September for bravery in the field (non-commissioned officer) when during an attack in Polygon Wood he led his platoon to the successful capture of the enemy's strong point while under fire. He was in charge of an advanced bombing post and although heavily shelled, by his coolness and determination held his men together. He is buried at Lijssenthoek Military Cemetery.

From the East Gippsland Family History Group Inc 2015

PTE M.A. Beaton 1512
Killed in Action France 2 September 1916 Aged 19 years

Bairnsdale born Milo Alexander Beaton had travelled to Liverpoool in New South Wales to enlist with the 13th Battalion at the end of 1914 where unknown to the local recruiters, he enlisted without any aprental permission as a 21 year old.

At the time he was a dental assistant and just 17 years old. He sailed from Sydney in February 1915 and was treated for a septic hand in Malta in August.

In a letter home in November 1915 he said I think I had a pretty good run on the peninsula, I was there for over four months without getting a scratch. Out of the twelve men in our tent in Egypt my mate and I are the only ones left - the last of the gallant twelve. He then transferred to the 4th Pioneers on the 15 March 1916 and landed in France where he was killed in action in September and was buried near Pozieres.

From the East Gippsland Family History Group Inc 2015

Pte A. J. Boyd 3689
Killed in Action France 19 July 1916 Aged 20 years

Bairnsdale born and bred Allan James Boyd was a 19 year old clerk when he signed up for service on 15 July 1915 with the 12th Reinforcements, 7th Battalion. He was in Egypt in early 1916 before being transferred to Marseilles. Just twenty days later Allan Boyd was reported missing.

A court of enquiry on 29 August 1917 determined that he was killed in action on the 19 July 1916 and that his body was "presumed buried in no man's land approximately at 5J0.43 to 5K0.2.51 sheet Hazelanick SA".

In 1920 the family were advised that his body that been re-interred at Auber's Ridge British Cemetery, south west of Armentieres. Allan Boyd had just turned twenty years old when he died in what would be the worst 24 hours of battle - the Battle of Fromelles.

From the East Gippsland Family History Group Inc 2015

Pte J.S. Deam 4167
Died of wounds France 15 August 1916 Aged 23 years

John Simester Deam, the son of John and Sarah (nee Kerton), was born in Bairnsdale in 1892. He enlisted on 10 July 1915 and joined the 6th Infantry. He was promoted to the rank of Corporal and arrived in France in April 1916.

In order to be stay with mates on the firing line he relinquished the position and was not long in action before being wounded.

He was a clerk and for the few years immediately before the war had been an active member of the Bairnsdale Rowing Club.

His younger also served and was killed in action in 1918 in France. They were both cousins of William Deam, who was also a member of the rowing club and who also died.

From the East Gippsland Family History Group Inc 2015

Pte W Deam 172
Killed in Action Gallipoli 29 November 1915 Aged 25 years

William Deam enlisted in March 1915 a couple of months before his cousin and fellow rowing club member John Deam.

William was another of the rowing club members who was discharged as being medically unfit for poor chest expansion and then being accepted on his second attempt and was sent to Gallipoli. On 29 November his company reached the tunnels on Plateau Sap (Lone Pine) where they took shelter when a shell burst burying six of the group including Deam.

Under fire they attempted to rescue the men but were not successful for all of them and when the men were relieved and off the front line Deam was missing at roll call. An enquiry on 21 January 1916 determined that he had been killed in action on that day at Gallipoli. His body was never recovered.

From the East Gippsland Family History Group Inc 2015

Pte F. B. Duke 3275

Died of wounds/illness England 2 November 1917 Aged 23 years

Francis Duke was the third child of Robert and Sarah (nee Hoppner) and was born at Buchan in 1895. Duke was a fireman and enlisted on 2 February 1915 while in Brisbane and joined the 59th Battalion. During his time home in 1915 he rowed in the Maiden Eight as it wasn't until 16 December that he left for Plymouth, England arriving in February 1916.

ln April he was admitted to Fovant Hospital with mumps and once recovered marched in to Etaples, France the following month. He was wounded in action, gunshot wounds to the thigh, on 26 September and transferred to England for treatment.

He was also suffering nephritis (kidney failure) and his condition was noted as "dangerous". He died at Norfolk War Hospital on 2 November and four days later at 12 noon, he was accorded a full military funeral at Norwich.

From the East Gippsland Family History Group Inc 2015

Pte L.G. Duncan 3722
Died of wounds France 14 November 1916 Aged 24 years

Lennox George Duncan was born in 1892, the son of John and Elizabeth. John was the local chemist in Bairnsdale. Lennox was training as a bank clerk when his enlistment was eventually accepted on 2 August after being rejected for having little chest expansion - a reflection on his high fitness level from rowing. He sailed on the Ceramic on 23 November bound for Egypt.

When his parents received a telegram 'regret to report" that he was in hospital in Cairo with an ingrown toenail one can imagine their relief.

Sadly it was short-lived. He proceeded to Marseilles on 8 June 1916 and was wounded in action in the field on 14 November when his right leg was shattered from a gunshot that resulted in a compound fracture. He died at the 4th Australian Field Ambulance the same day and was buried at Longueval Road Cemetery.

From the East Gippsland Family History Group Inc 2015

Dvr G.H. Evans 11832
Killed in Action France 11 October 1918 Aged 28 years
Born in Prahran in 1890.
Gordon Henry Evans was a well known local hairdresser and tobacconist when he enlisted on 26 June 1915. Earlier in the year he had married local girl Ellen Mooney in Bairnsdale. He joined the 4th Field Artillery and left Australia in January the following year. He was a gunner in the field before becoming a Driver. In August 1917 he received gunshot wounds to his left leg and after the wounds had healed he was granted leave to England to recover from the general exhaustion that most of the men suffered. He re-joined his unit the I 0th Battery, in October 1917. He died instantly on 11 October twelve months later when a piece of an exploding shell pierced his skull. According to his commanding officer of the time his death was deeply regretted by the whole battery.

From the East Gippsland Family History Group Inc 2015

MAJ E.F.D. Fethers
Killed in Action Gallipoli 25 April 1915 Aged 28 years

Erle Finlayson Denton Fethers was not born in Bairnsdale but moved to the town when employed as an accountant at the National Bank. Erle was a career soldier having already attained the rank of Captain.

When war broke out he was invited by Colonel Wanliss to join the 5th Battalion. He enlisted in August and was among the first to sail in command of A company 5th Battalion.

Once in Egypt he was promoted to Major. Fethers was well loved by his men and led his company 200 yards beyond the crest of Lone Pine when he was shot through the neck by a sniper. ln a letter to his mother Major Flockart describcd him as one of the best and that he had died at just on midday on what would become known as Anzac Day. He was eventually buried at Lone Pine and was 28 years old.

From the East Gippsland Family History Group Inc 2015

CRPL G. Gaylor 3261
Died of wounds Palestine 4 May 1918 Aged 31 years

Garnet Victor Stanhope Gaylor, known as George, was a telegraph linesman and had rowed with Hosie in 1914 and with Boyd, McDonald and Hamilton in the Easter regatta in 1915. He enlisted on 5 July 1915 when 28 years old joining the I0th Light Horse.

He served at Gallipoli before being invalided home on 17 July 1916 due to 'rheumatism'· and ·'irritable heart'·. He re-enlisted with the 8th Light Horse on 2 January 1917 returned to Egypt and was promoted to Sergeant.

On 4 May he was shot, through his steel helmet in the forehead and while initially thought killed, was taken to the hospital at Es Salt deeply unconscious and in a hopeless condition. When Turkish forces advanced on the hospital just hours later the A.I.F retreated and he was left behind,regretfully, unable to be moved. An Armenian nursing sister later informed his family he had died at noon that day.

From the East Gippsland Family History Group Inc 2015

Grm A.M. Green 10415
Died of wounds France 12 February 1918 Aged 23 years

Archibald Mathison Green, a civil servant, was born in Bairnsdale in 1895 the son of James and Elizabeth Matthews. He spent two years in the Senior Cadets before enlisting on 28 August 1915 when he was 20 years old and joined the 4th Field Artillery unit.

He sailed from Melbourne on the 5 January 1916. Green had been in and out of hospital with minor ailments before being dangerously wounded on 10 February 1918.

He was running wires from the Battalion position to a strong point about 9.30pm with the 6th Field Brigade when they were caught in a shell burst. The field ambulance conveyed him to the hospital at Bayne but it was here that he died two days later from his wounds - compound fractures in the hip, arm. legs and both hands. He was 23 years old.

From the East Gippsland Family History Group Inc 2015

Pte R. W. Hosie 1948

Killed in action France 19 July 1916 Aged 28 years

Local lad Russell William Hosie was born in Bairnsdale and worked as a tanner, possibly at Jackson's tannery on the banks of the Mitchell River.

He was a valued member of the rowing club and had represented the club on numerous occasions. He enlisted in January 1915 and his brother, Gustave, also enlisted six months later.

They were Chris Cooper's brothers-in-law. Russell was with the 60th Battalion and they both ended up sailing on the Kinfauns Castle from Alexandria to Marseilles.

Together they disembarked on 29 June 1916. They were both reported missing and both were determined killed in action bv a court of enquiry some time later. Neither of their bodies were recovered, both being buried in no man's land. Such was the mayhem of Fromelles on 19 July 1916.

From the East Gippsland Family History Group Inc 2015

PTE C.R. Jeffreys 2492
Died of injuries France 21 January 1917 Aged 24 years

Charles Roy Jeffreys was the son of Robert and Annie Jeffreys. Robert was a tailor in Main Street and his son was educated at the School of Mines and was working at Winson 's foundry where he showed great promise as a mechanical engineer.

He enlisted during a recruiting drive in July 1915 but like Lennox Duncan was also initially rejected due to his small chest expansion! He was a keen member of the Rowing Club and also the Rifle Club.

Jeffreys was with the 2nd Field Company Engineers before going to the 1st Divisional Supply Column serving in Egypt and then France. At 1.45pm on 21 January 1917 he was the lookout man on a lorry being driven over a level crossing at Behencourt when it was struck by a train and he was killed. He was buried the next day at the British Military Cemetery. Contay. France.

From the East Gippsland Family History Group Inc 2015

PTE W. I. Jennings 2932
Killed in Action Belgium 21 October 1917 Aged 27 years
Born and raised in East Bairnsdale, William Irvine Jennings (known as Bill) was the son of William and Mary Ann Jennings and was well known in the town.
William, who enlisted on 18 January 1916, was an engine driver and cleaner. He was a single man. Three months after signing up he left home on the troopship Euripides first landing at Alexandria, then onto England and France in September 1916. Twelve months later on 21 October he was in a shell hole, with four others, near Zonnabeke when a shell fell on them and he was either killed by the explosion or buried alive. His body was not recovered as shelling of the area was too severe to allow a proper burial. It wasn't until September the following year that he was officially recorded as having been killed in action. Two cousins, Peter (Orbost) and William (Bena), were also killed in action.

From the East Gippsland Family History Group Inc 2015

SGT T.J.S. McDonald 22528
Killed in Action France 1 September 1918 Aged 27 years

South Australian Thomas James Stewart McDonald was born at Penola to Thomas and Jane who shifted to Bairnsdale and then Orbost. He was living and working in Bairnsdale as a motor mechanic when he enlisted at the start of 1916.

Once overseas he was attached to the 3rd Divisional Ammunitions Column and served in France before being recommended for further training at No. 1 R.A. School at St John's Wood at the start of 1918.

South Australian Thomas James Stewart McDonald was born at Penola to Thomas and Jane who shifted to Bairnsdale and then Orbost. He was living and working in Bairnsdale as a motor mechanic when he enlisted at the start of 1916. Once overseas he was attached to the 3rd Divisional Ammunitions Column and served in France before being recommended for further training at No. 1 R.A. School at St John's Wood at the start of 1918. Promoted to Sergeant and transferred lo the 6th Medium Trench Mortar Battery and returned to France via Southampton. He managed to avoid being injured or succumbing to any illness and in August enjoyed a fortnights leave in Paris. He was killed in action near Peronne on 1 September 1918 just weeks before end of the war.

From the East Gippsland Family History Group Inc 2015

PTE J. Moore 3181
Died of wounds/illness France 29 July 1916 aged 42 years
John Moore came to Bairnsdale as an electrical engineer with Richard Hornsby and Sons Limited who had won the contract for the supply of power for the electric Iight service in Bairnsdale. In 1912 he stayed on to maintain the installation. He became a valued member of the community being involved in the Presbyterian church and the rowing club. On 17 July 1915 while visiting in Melbourne he enlisted when he was 41 (though he claimed to be only 39) years of age with the 23rd Infantry Battalion quickly transferring to the 5th Pioneer Battalion. He arrived first in Egypt and then France before being wounded on 20 July and reported dangerously ill with suspected typhoid fever. He died at the 14th Stationary Hospital, Wimereaux just over a week later and was buried the same day.

From the East Gippsland Family History Group Inc 2015

2nd LT L. Morrison 8161
Died of injuries England 28 July 1917 Aged 24 years

Lindsay died as a result of an aeroplane accident at Netheravon in England. The son of James and Edith he was born in Bairnsdale in 1893. He was farming locally when he enlisted. He joined the anillery of the 2nd Australian Division, and while in France he obtained a commission in the Royal Flying Corps.

A letter to his father said he had learned the art of flying quickly and went up by himself and did a splendid flight and was very proud of it.

Lindsay died as a result of an aeroplane accident at Netheravon in England. The son of James and Edith he was born in Bairnsdale in 1893. He was farming locally when he enlisted. He joined the anillery of the 2nd Australian Division, and while in France he obtained a commission in the Royal Flying Corps. A letter to his father said he had learned the art of flying quickly and went up by himself and did a splendid flight and was very proud of it. On that Saturday atiernoon he had started off full ofconfidence but had only gone a few hundred yards and was not more than 25 feet high when the tail of the machine dropped and he could not right it and crashed to the ground. Despite being critically injured he lingered on for an hour without regaining consciousness and was buried the following Tuesday.

From the East Gippsland Family History Group Inc 2015

CPL C.L. Sharrow 4787
Killed in Action Belgium 4 October 1917 Aged 25 years

Born in 1892, Clyde Leslie Sharrow was the son of William and Celia (nee Sharpe) and in 1915 he married local Toongabbie girl Winifred Semmens. Clyde was a carpenter and undertaker by trade and presumably was working with his uncle, William Sharrow, who was an undertaker in Baimsdale at the time.

He was a keen rifleman and this stood him in good stead on his enlistment in August when he was promoted to a training Sergeant in camp.

In mid 1916 he embarked overseas and reverted to the rank of Corporal. On arrival in France he spent some time hospitalised sick before joining his platoon at Broodseide. At 5.40am on 4 October he was one in an advancing party when a shell landed beside him killing him instantly. He never met his daughter, Lesley Joan who was born early in 1917.

From the East Gippsland Family History Group Inc 2015

PTE G.S. Sibbin 3922
Killed in Action France 19 July 1916 Aged 24 years

George Stuart Sibbin was seen to be hit and killed while attending to a wounded comrade. He was never seen again and his name is recorded at VC Corner at Fromelles. George had gone to school at 754 and then worked at Shannon's drapery. He was a member of St Andrew's Presbyterian choir and remembered as the comedian of the social events.

He saw humour in almost everything and his cheery disposition, cheery optimism and ready wit brightened up his comrades lot.

George Stuart Sibbin was seen to be hit and killed while attending to a wounded comrade. He was never seen again and his name is recorded at VC Corner at Fromelles. George had gone to school at 754 and then worked at Shannon's drapery. He was a member of St Andrew's Presbyterian choir and remembered as the comedian of the social events. He saw humour in almost everything and his cheery disposition, cheery optimism and ready wit brightened up his comrades lot. His surviving comrades were deeply affected by his death with one of them writing Poor Stuart, we have lost a very loveable pal, whom we will never cease to miss. A blank has come into our lives by his death. George's brother John also served and returned home.

From the East Gippsland Family History Group Inc 2015

LCE-CRPL M.J. Towner 2908
Killed in Action France 15 February 1917 Aged 24 years

When Martin John Towner was killed in action his commanding officer and his comrades in the bombing platoon all signed the letter to his parents expressing their regret.

He had been in the A.I.F.just over twelve months when he was proceeding to his post in the line as an enemy shell landed and death was almost instantaneous. Pte Brose who was with him at the time said that one of the last things he had said was to tell the CO he was wounded and would be unable to do his post for the night.

Towner was admired by the others in his platoon for his good nature and straight living and that he was always ready for the call of duty. Everyone had a good word to say for him and they regarded his loss as that of a brother. Towner was buried at the Bazentin-Le-Petit Military Cemetery, France.

From the East Gippsland Family History Group Inc 2015

SGT W. Wallace 862
Killed in Action Palestine 4 May 1917 Aged 23 years
William Wallace who had come to Australia from Stirlingshire, Scotland was working at the National Bank, Bairnsdale when he enlisted in September 1914. He was attached to the 3rd Light Horse Field Ambulance and managed to survive the campaign at Gallipoli. He "took part in the operations against the Turks in the desert fighting." From here he was engaged in various campaigns including Abu­Shinnar, Abasan-al-Kabir and Belah. It appears that he was killed when the hospital that he was working at with the Medical Corps was bombed and he is buried at the Deir El Belah War cemetery in Israel. His parents never spoke of his death and in the 1960s his younger brother, George, wrote to the Central Army Records Department seeking information of his service and ultimately claiming his medals in remembrance of the brother he hadn't known.

From the East Gippsland Family History Group Inc 2015

Ballarat Rowing Club

J. Allicey
C. Gribble
H. J. Paulig
E. Berryman E. Gribble J. A. Paulig
J. Bickart F. Gribble J. Pearce
G. Bishop
D. Halladay
N. Redfern
C. Brokenshire J. Hammond A. Reynolds
W. Brown J. Hogg C. Roberts
J. Cameron
W. Hooley, M.M.
H. Rowsell
L. Cleverley A. Hughes, M.C. G. Scarfe
J. Cohen P. James H. F. Selleck
R. Corbett
M. Jones
N. Selman
G. Crocker W. Lawrie A. Sergeant
C. W. Croft, M.C., M.M. H. Lusher J. L. Simpson
L. Crossley
T. Maher
S. Smythe
W. Davies H. Marks W. Steele
R. Desmond W. Marshall W. Vawdrey
P. Donald
R. Marxsen
R. Vickery
S. Evans W. May J. Vipond
L. Ellingsen A. McGoldrick H. Walker
J. L. Furness
D. Muir, M.C.
J. Whitelaw
R. Gallagher A. McLaurin S. Walker
A. Gilbert W. J. Paterson P. Walton

Ballarat City Rowing Club

S. Anderson
J. F. Gear, M.C.
G. F. Morton
R. Allan H. R. Griffin A. T. Marsh
A. Ahern G. Greenshields J. C. Moore
A. W. Bennett
F. Herman
A. McKenzie
W. Brazenor L. Hall A. McDonald
J. Blaikie W. A. Holtham T. O'Reilly
E. Champion
R. Hind
W. Owen
M. Cummins R. F. Hayes A. E. Oxbrow
R. H. Cummins R. Hansen C. Palmer
J. Cross
J. Harris
G. H. Pollard
E. Costelloe L. Hobson H. Richardson
E. Dorrington A. King Allan Scott
T. Eustace
S. Lugg
M. Spencer
H. Ferguson T. V. A. Luke G. Tyler
L. Finch E. Morshead J. M. Walker

Banks Rowing Club

J. K. Anderson
A. D. Henderson
J. V. Phelan
H. H. Arthur H. G. Hodges V. A. Pratt
K. F. Bald
W. S. Houghton S. Ricketson
L. Bolitho
G. Hurry
R. A. Salmon, M.C.
E. L. G. Bown W. Jackson H. E. Sewell
M. Boydell R. Johnston E. J. Stanton
L. Butler
I. R. H. Kennedy
G. Stobie
A. B. Buxton R. Knight H. Strange
F. C. Cartwright D. J. Mainland J. B. Sutherland
J. D. Cruickshank
J. B. Mair
L. E. Thrower
A. F. S. Dobson* N. Marshall, D.S.O. and 2 Bars, M.C. and Bar B. M. Thwaites
L. Down L. B. Marshall, M.C. J. A. Walker
N. N. Dutneall
W. H. Mathieson
H. Were
A. R. Dutneall E. J. Mortensen E. Wilkinson
C. L. De Fraga A. J. Macgibbon J. B. Wilson
R. N. Fraser, M.M.
C. J. McCarthy
H. G. Yeo
J. D. Freeland H. H. Riordan McKnight  
K. Gardiner L. J. Nairn  
R. R. Gibbs
J. H. O'Brien
W. Greenway N. O'Bryan  
R. A. A. Harris T. W. Parrington *Also in University list

Barwon Rowing Club

W. R. Allen
L. Hagger
A. Reid
A. Anderson E. Hudson A. Reid
R. Barnfather H. Hughes C. Richardson
C. A. Barnard
C. Hunt
A. N. Shannon
G. Brownlee H. Hurst M. Spencer
R. Cameron V. Ibbotson C. M. Storrer
A. M. Collins
E. Jessop
H. H. Storrer
C. Cox B. Jones G. Strickland
F. Degenhardt F. Lascelles R. Sutterby
H. Drew
D. Martin
A. Taylor
N. Fegan R. Mawson W. Wadmore
R. Forrest, M.C. H. McRae W. Wheatland
N. Freeman, D.S.O.
R. Mills
J. A. F. Wilson
W. Glew W. Orchard, M.C. H. Zimmer
R. Grant A. Patten  
J. Griffin J. C. Paul  

William Robert Allen was born on December 8, 1892 in Kingston, near Ballarat to Dr. William Allen, honorary consultant at the nearby Creswick Hospital, and Maria Parkin. His father died on the 30th December, just three weeks after his birth. William was educated at Geelong Grammar School, and was a fine oarsman, rowing No. 7 in the Grammar School Eight in 1910 and 1911. Trained as an engineer, he worked as a clerk at Strachan, Murray and Shannon's wool store in Geelong. William had joined Barwon Rowing Club by 1914.

He enlisted on 14 August 1914 at Prahran, three days after enlistments opened, as a Trooper in the 4th Light Horse, aged 21 years and 8 months, 5' 11', 13 st. 4 lbs., with blue eyes and dark hair. Two of his uncles were Captains in the A.I.F., John and Thomas Parkin, both of whom had rowed with Barwon in the 1890s.

On 11 September he and his 37 year old uncle, Captain John Parkin and three other local boys were farewelled at a packed Creswick Mechanics' Hall, decorated with Union Jacks and wattle blossom.

Each of the volunteers were presented with a case of pipes suitably inscribed, to enjoy after a hard day's battle, and were called upon to respond to the large crowd.

Trooper Bob, as he was now known, said: it was very hard for a young fellow to face all his friends, and make a response, nevertheless, he thanked them for the nice presentation, which he had not expected. He appreciated the good wishes, and it would give him greater courage and ambition, knowing the people he lived amongst supported him. The joining of hands and the singing of "Auld Lang Syne" and the National Anthem brought an enjoyable evening to a close.

The 4th Light Horse were not sent to Gallipoli with the first landing. However infantry casualties were so severe it was decided to send them, without their horses, as infantry reinforcements. They landed at Anzac Cove between 22 and 24 May 1915. It was at Ryrie's Post in August that William received shrapnel wounds to the left hand and foot and was later evacuated to hospital in Malta with septic wounds. He rejoined his unit on 25 October 1915 and left Gallipoli when the peninsula was evacuated in December. With the re-organization of the A.I.F. after withdrawing from Gallipoli, he transferred to the 57th Battalion, arrived in France in June 1915, saw action at Fromelles and was promoted Lieutenant in August 1916.

Throughout the winter of 1916–17 the 57th Battalion kept pressure on the Germans by means of small attacks and raids. The Unit Diary of the 57th Battalion on 1 February 1917 records: Front Line near Guedecourt. The trenches were cleared by dawn in anticipation of a Heavy Artillery Stunt between 1.30 and 2 pm. During the night our trenches and the whole area were heavily shelled. 2 OR's killed, 5 OR's wounded. During the morning Lieutenant W R Allen was sniped through the head and killed. William was killed in Shine Trench, in front of Guedecourt.

Quite a gloom was cast over the town on Thursday when it was announced that Lieutenant W.R. Allen had made the supreme sacrifice for his country in France. He was a good sport and a real good fellow in every way. Very great regret is felt for Mrs. Allen at the loss of her only son, and deep sympathy expressed for her and Captains T. and J. Parkin. All the flags were flying at half mast on Thursday. Bob was the fourth of the five who were farewelled at the Mechanics Hall to be killed.

Later Private Allan Falla, of Kingston, wrote to his mother with the details: I was telling you about Lieutenant Allen who was in our Company, who got killed. You can tell his mother if you ever see her that he has a very nice grave and cross erected over him. The boys thought the world of him. They carried him five miles from where he was shot to bury him in a cemetery. We were just changing over with another battalion, and he was showing the incoming officer the different posts when a sniper got him right through the head.

William Allen is buried at Bernafay Wood British Cemetery, Mountauban, France.

On his tombstone is written He answered his country's call.

Karen O'Connor 2015


Albert Naples Anderson was born in Dean, near Ballarat on 13 December, 1885. His father, who was M.L.A. for Ballarat, died when he was aged 13. When he enlisted he was 29 years old, single, 5' 11' and 11st 8 lbs. He had attended Geelong College and was an accountant at J.C. Brown and Co.'s engineering works. He had seen previous service in the 29th Light Horse, Port Phillip Regiment, C Squadron. He joined Barwon Rowing Club in 1912 and the same year rowed stroke in the Barwon crew at the Henley on Yarra Regatta.

He enlisted on Christmas Eve, 1914 in the 8th Light Horse, was promoted to 2nd Lieutenant 15 January 1915 and embarked from Melbourne on 12 February 1915.

Albert landed at Gallipoli on 16 May and took part in the Light Horse charge at The Nek in August.

Trumpeter Les Lawry, from Highton, Geelong, saw that he had been wounded and fallen into a hole in No Man's Land. He went out and waited with him for two hours before he could safely bring him back to the trenches. He was evacuated to London with wounds to the face and neck and dysentery. In January 1916 a medical board reported that Albert “was improving but still unsettled and easily excited. Suffers from headaches, sleeps badly. Lost 1½ stone although recovered from dysentery”. He was suffering from shell shock. The Board recommended three months “change” in Australia. He first went on leave to Scotland and then returned to Australia in March 1916.

Back in Geelong he attended the Head of the River and then in May addressed the Old Collegians' Association dinner, saying: the pluck of the Public School boys at the front was even greater than that of others. No matter how heavy the shelling he had never seen a public school boy afraid. The spirit of the Australians throughout was fine. Their language might have been peculiar at times, and not understood by English officers, but back of the language was the spirit. The Australians were out to do a job, and did it well, and there were no finer soldiers in the world. It was not until September that year that he was back in camp at Macleod, returning to Egypt as a Lieutenant, Commanding Officer of Troops, on 31 January 1917.

Albert was wounded at the 2nd battle of Gaza, Palestine, with severe gunshot wounds to his abdomen and scrotum on 19 April 1917. The battle had begun two days earlier with a frontal assault on the Turkish trenches, supported by six tanks and gas shells. After three days of fighting the attack was called off. Albert died of his wounds on 25 April 1917. He was one of the few original officers of the 8th Light Horse remaining.

In May 1917 at a memorial service for Geelong Grammarians at the Presbyterian High Church, Albert was described as “courteous, sincere and contemplative. He was born for leadership, and had he lived would have followed his father's footsteps, and been a power of strength in our legislative halls. He was a modern Sir Galahad”.

Albert Naples Anderson is buried at Kintara Military Cemetery, Egypt.

On his tombstone is written
Having fought to the end,
Remained victor on the field.

Karen O'Connor 2015


Known as Ralph, Andrew Ernest Ralph Barnfather was born on 6 August 1891 in Geelong, the youngest son of nine children. When he enlisted he was 23 years old, 5' 8”, 10 st., with brown hair and hazel eyes. He had attended Geelong College and was a carpenter with John Robertson and Sons of Lt. Ryrie St. He had seen previous service with the 29th (Port Phillip) Light Horse Regiment as a Sergeant Major.

His brother Stanley had rowed with Barwon in 1906 and was Secretary of the Club. Ralph had joined Barwon Rowing Club by 1910. He rowed bow seat in the winning Maiden Eight at the Ballarat Regatta of 1914.

He enlisted on 18 August 1914 as Staff Sgt-Major in the 4th Light Horse, A Squadron. Prior to his embarkation on 19 October 1914 he rowed with William Allen and Charles Storrer in the Light Horse winning eight at an inter-regimental regatta on the Yarra River.

After serving on Gallipoli without injury or illness he was promoted Lieutenant on 23 March 1916 upon transferring to the 58th Battalion. Whilst in Egypt he again rowed with Charles Storrer in a winning inter-regimental eight.

Arriving in France on 23 June 1916 he qualified as a machine gun officer, returning to his battalion on 17 July. The 58th saw its first major battle on the Western Front at Fromelles on 19 July. They had the dual role of providing carrying parties and acting as a reserve force. This reserve force was ordered to attack late in the battle and was virtually annihilated by machine gun fire. As a whole the 58th suffered casualties equal to almost a third of its strength with six officers wounded and four missing, and 27 OR's killed, 161 wounded and 49 missing. By 8 a.m. on the following day the battle was over; the 5th Australian Division sustained 5533 casualties in just 24 hours.

Ralph was one of those officers reported as missing. In his Red Cross Wounded and Missing file an informant from Geelong stated that on July 20th 1916 at Fleurbaix, south of Armientieres, 2nd Lieut. Barnfather he believes was killed in action. Lieut. Barnfather went out as one of the leaders in an attack on German trenches. They got into the trenches, but he is sure no English prisoners were taken. Another informant stated that Lieut. Barnfather fell shortly after we got over … body seen but not recovered. This was at Fromelles. Said to be shot through the throat.

A court of enquiry on 6 August 1916 (his birthday) determined that Ralph had been killed in action on 19 July, the same day as fellow Barwon member James Reid. He has no known grave and is still listed as one of the missing from Fromelles.

The family inserted the following death notice in the Geelong Advertiser in May 1917:
He died the noblest death a man can die, Fighting for God and Right and Liberty;
Such a death is immortality”.

Andrew Ernest Ralph Barnfather is commemorated at V.C .Corner Australian Cemetery and Memorial, Fromelles, France.

Karen O'Connor 2015

Norman Joseph Fegan was born in Geelong and when he enlisted was 21 years old, 5' 7', 9 st. 7 lbs., with brown eyes and brown hair. He had attended Central College in Geelong and worked as a clerk with Godfrey Hirst & Co. at the Excelsior Woollen Mills. He joined Barwon Rowing Club in 1912. Norman had seen previous service as a Sgt. Major with the Citizen Military Forces.

He enlisted on his 21st birthday, 2 September 1916, but his departure was delayed as the mill managers considered him essential to their work. On his last day at work he was presented with a silver plated safety razor and camp knife by the staff and a case of silver mounted pipes by the managers.

He embarked on 23 November 1916 as a Private in the 24th Battalion and arrived in England for training where he was hospitalised with severe bronchitis. He arrived in France in June 1917.

Norman was killed on 4 October 1917; the first day of the Battle of Broodseinde Ridge. The Australian troops were shelled heavily on their start line and a seventh of their number became casualties even before the attack began. When it did the attacking troops were confronted by a line of troops advancing towards them: the Germans had chosen the same morning to launch an attack of their own. The Australians forged on through the German assault waves and gained all their objectives along the ridge. It was not without cost, however. The Australian divisions suffered 6500 casualties. In the 24th Battalion 4 officers and 49 O/R's were killed, amongst them Norman.

His section leader wrote to his parents explaining the circumstances of his death: “Please accept my deepest sympathy on the death of your son, Norman. I was in charge of six men in the hop over. If anything happened to me, Norman would have had charge. He received a parcel the night before we went up the line, and all we boys shared in the good things, he intended writing himself, if he had a chance. We all took cover in a shell hole before we went over, waiting on our barrage, but strange to say Fritz was making an attack on us at the same time. He opened his barrage before us, and I never expected any of us to come out alive. We were all snuggled up to each other, as close as we could get, and every man, I am sure, put up a prayer that night. Two of my lads were hit during the time we were in the shell hole, and Norman was hit just when we got over the top. Death was instantaneous and if it's God's will, I would ask for nothing better than die to like him, going over the top. I was the only one to come out of the section that day. Norman's body was never recovered.

There were many close friendships between the Barwon members who enlisted: Albert Patten, who joined the club the same year as Norman, had the following notice inserted in The Geelong Advertiser:

A tribute of love to the memory of Corporal Norman Fegan, faithful comrade of Bert Pattern

The dawn is gently breaking
O'er France's distant shore;
Breaking gently on the grave
Of one we'll ne'er see more.

He sleeps not in his native land,
But under foreign skies;
Far away from those who love him
In a soldier's grave he lies.

Norman Joseph Fegan is commemorated at Ypres (Menin Gate) Memorial, Belgium.

Karen O'Connor 2015


An only son, Harold Bickley Drewe Hughes was born in Footscray and was an eighteen year old clerk with the London Bank in Geelong in 1914. He had not attended either Geelong Grammar School or Geelong College but had been privately tutored.

He had seen previous service as a Lieutenant in the 69th Company of the Citizen Military Forces. He joined Barwon Rowing Club in 1914.

Harold was in London on the day the Great War started; travelling as a Lieutenant with a troop of Mounted Cadets on a privately funded world tour. They arrived in England on the day before war was declared.

Within a fortnight of their arrival all the cadets had volunteered and were accepted for service. Questions regarding the intentions of the company were asked in the English Parliament in September 1914: Mr. Hugh Barrie asked the Secretary of State for the Colonies whether the services of the members of the Australian cadet company now visiting this country have been offered to the Government, and have they been accepted? Mr. Harcourt replied that Captain Rushall, the officer in charge of the contingent of Australian Mounted Cadets at present in this country, has offered his services and those of the contingent to His Majesty's Government for the remaining period of their stay in England. This generous offer has been communicated to the War Office, and I am at present in communication with the Department with a view to the employment of this efficient body upon some useful and congenial duty.

Howard enlisted as a private in the 28th London Regiment and was then attached to the Public Schools Special Corps, assisting for two months in the instruction of recruits and acting as Adjutant to the Commanding Officer. Due to his fine work and the good opinion of his Colonel he received his next appointment, taking up a commission with the Royal Warwickshire Regiment, 3rd Battalion. His former Commanding Officer wrote the following recommendation: Lieutenant H.B.D. Hughes has proved himself most efficient in every branch of the service, and I can thoroughly recommend him in every way. He is most reliable, painstaking, and indefatigable worker. I shall be very surprised if I do not hear of his speedy promotion in the service, and I shall watch his career with the greatest interest.

He was later detached to the Highland Light Infantry as acting Captain and went with them to France in February 1915.

Harold was killed on 16 May 1915 in France at the Battle of Festubert. His Commanding Officer wrote to his mother: I cannot tell you how grieved I am, as is the whole battalion, at your poor son's death. He was hit by shrapnel in the head, and his death was instantaneous. We all had the greatest regard for him. He was energetic, capable and a most gallant fellow. The men were very fond of him and would have followed him anywhere.

Harold's body was never recovered.

Harold Bickley Drewe Hughes is commemorated at Le Touret Memorial, France.

Karen O'Connor 2015


Born in Geelong in 1892, Frances Hope Lascelles, known as Frank, was educated at Geelong Grammar School and employed as a wool broker in his father's firm, Denny, Lascelles Ltd. His grandfather, Charles, was one of the founders of Barwon Rowing Club and its first Captain.

Frank was Captain of Boats at Geelong Grammar School in 1909 and 1910 and rowed 2 seat in the Head of the River, coming second both years to Wesley College. He had joined Barwon Rowing Club by 1913.

In April 1915 at the age of 23 he travelled to Sydney where he boarded a ship for England, arriving on 15 May.

One month later he enlisted in the 3rd (Prince of Wales) Dragoon Guards, acting as a General Staff Officer.

He later took a commission as Lieutenant in the Kings Own Royal Rifles, 42nd Brigade, Machine Gun Corps, leaving England on 8 November 1915 and after a week at the Base, joined his battalion in Flanders. In a letter to his mother he described his men as being very cheerful, in spite of their winter hardships.

When his father, E. H. Lascelles, died unexpectedly a few months later, his mother asked him to request leave of absence to come home. He cabled a reply saying that he could not do this as he felt it was his duty to remain at the Front.

Frank was killed on 22 August 1917 at Zillebeke, Flanders during the 3rd Battle of Ypres. When the news reached home, flags were flown at half mast at all the wool stores in Geelong.

He has no known grave.

Francis Hope Lascelles is commemorated at Tyne Cot Memorial for the Missing, Belgium.

Karen O'Connor 2015


John Charles Paul was born in Queenscliff in 1893 and attended Geelong College. When he enlisted he was 21 years old, 6 ft., 12st.10 lbs., and worked as a wool traveller for Dalgety and Co's Geelong office.

His father, J.K. Paul, a permanent army officer based at Fort Largs, South Australia had served in the Sudan, North-West India and the Boer War. Jack had seen previous service as a 2nd Lieutenant with the 70th Infantry, E Coy, in Geelong.

He had joined Barwon Rowing Club by 1910 and rowed 4 seat at the 1912 Henley Regatta and was stroke of Barwon's winning Maiden Eight at the Ballarat Regatta in 1913 and 1914.

He enlisted on 24 August 1914 as a Lieutenant in the 8th Battalion, B Company, and embarked on 19 October 1914. Jack took part in the Gallipoli landing as part of the second wave on 25 April 1915 and was almost immediately severely wounded. Fellow Barwon member, Norman Hurst of the 4th Light Horse, described the circumstances:

That a lieutenant of Geelong, whose death at the Dardenelles was reported last week, drew his revolver when wounded and by threats made his comrades desist from risking their lives to save him, is asserted by Private N. Hurst, in a letter to Dalgety and Co., dated 22nd June.

All we know of him, he says, is that he was wounded during the retreat of April 25. He and his party chased the Turks inland, but ammunition was running short. Then they had to come back to our present position. When he was hit, five fellows went out under heavy machine gun and shrapnel fire to bring him in. He ordered them to leave him and save themselves. When, however, they went to get hold of him he drew his revolver on them, and they had to leave him. On the day of armistice they hunted everywhere for his body, but could not find it. Some hope that he is a prisoner.

Jack's identity disc was discovered on a body by members of the 9th Battalion on 28 June and he was buried in a shallow battlefield grave. He was originally listed as missing in action and it was more than three months before he was confirmed as killed and his family notified. At the end of the war his grave was not found.

The biography in the Geelong Advertiser following his death described him as of splendid physique and rare dash - one of the most dashing Lieutenants in the AIF. He was the third member of Dalgety's Geelong staff to die in the fighting at that time.

An 'In Memorium' notice appeared in The Argus on Anzac Day, 1919:

In sad and loving memory of Jack (Lieut. J.C. Paul), 8th Battalion, killed in action Gaba Tepe, April 25, 1915. Sadly missed.
One of Australia's best and bravest.

John Charles Paul is commemorated at Lone Pine Memorial, Gallipoli, Turkey.

Karen O'Connor 2015

James Alexander Reid, known as Alex, was born in Geelong in 1894. He had attended the Gordon College where he trained as a butcher; his father James was the manager of a large butchery with eight delivery carts and three wagons in Malop Street, Geelong. Alex had joined Barwon Rowing Club by 1914 and was serving as Color Sergeant with the 70th Infantry.

When he enlisted he was 21 years old, 5' 7½', 12 st., with blue eyes and black hair. He enlisted on 7 April 1915 as a Sergeant in the 29th Battalion and embarked from Melbourne in November the same year. He arrived in France on 23 June 1916 and was killed in less than four weeks; on 19 July during the Battle of Fromelles, the same day as fellow member Ralph Barnfather.

Alex was killed in the trenches whilst leading his platoon in an attack on the German lines to the right of Dead Dog's Avenue by a severe wound to the leg. They took the German third line about 8.30 pm and held it until 11 o'clock, when the Germans made a counter attack and they were driven back to their own lines. They left all those who had been killed in the German trenches. Following the battle he was officially listed as missing.

Two months later his parents received letters from Alex's fellow soldiers: The stunt in which our battalion took part was one of the worst yet taken on, and we suffered terribly. The last I saw of Alex was fighting bravely against big odds, and it is my opinion, and the opinion of his boys that he is gone, and not a braver or a finer fellow has fallen in this war.

It is very hard for me to write and tell you that your son was killed, for I was with him at the time, and he and I are old school mates, having gone to the same school together in Geelong. We found him so brave and willing to do his bit. He came to me and said he was hit, so I offered to carry him back to our lines; then when I started out something came, and I knew no more until I came round in hospital. I trust that God will sustain you in the hour of your great loss.

The family continued to hope that there had been a mistake and that their son might actually be missing until a Court of Enquiry late in August 1917 confirmed him as killed in action. In providing details for the Australian War Memorial Roll of Honour his father wrote that He was simply a dear home lad who early answered the call and died in the cause of freedom.

James Alexander Reid's body was found and identified in 2010. He is now interred in the new Fromelles (Pheasant Wood) Military Cemetery, France.

On his tombstone is written - Finally at rest.

Karen O'Connor 2015

Charles Murray Storrer was born in Geelong and when he enlisted was aged 19 years and 10 months, 6' 2", 12st. 6 lbs, with hazel eyes and brown hair. He had attended Geelong College and was a wool clerk with Dalgety & Co., Geelong. Known as Murray, he had two brothers who also rowed with Barwon and his father had been Treasurer of the Club since 1909 and was President in 1921/22.

After leaving school he served with the 29th (Port Phillip) Light Horse and travelled to Europe as a member of Captain Rushall's Mounted Cadets. Murray joined Barwon Rowing Club in 1910 and rowed 3 seat in the winning Maiden Eight at the Ballarat Regatta of 1914.

He enlisted on18 August 1914 in the 4th Light Horse as a Sergeant.

Prior to his embarkation from Melbourne, on 19 October 1914, he rowed with fellow members William Allen and Ralph Barnfather in the Light Horse winning eight at an inter-regimental regatta on the Yarra River. All three rowers did not survive the war. He also rowed in a winning eight with Ralph Barnfather at an Army Regatta in Egypt before leaving for the Dardenelles

Murray died of wounds at Gallipoli on 5 June 1915.

His cousin, Lieutenant Murray Bourchier, Ralph Barnfather and Murray were in a dug-out having breakfast of bully beef and biscuits at 7.30 in the morning. There was some heavy firing and a high explosive shell burst over their dugout, a piece of shrapnel striking Murray on the head, exposing his brain. He died at 1 pm without gaining consciousness and was buried on the beach at 7.30 pm. He lost consciousness instantly, no one knew he was hit for some seconds, as he never moved, just sat there with a piece of biscuit in his hand.

A number of his Barwon friends attended his burial, including Leopold Hagger, a bugler with the 8th Battalion, who played the Last Post for him.

The Geelong Advertiser reported on his memorial service held at the Newtown Presbyterian Church late in June as A Young Giant Honored. A few weeks after his death the manager of Dalgety's wrote: In August of 1910, Dalgety and Co. Ltd., had a vacancy for a smart junior, and from amongst many applicants the choice fell on Murray Storrer, a young fellow of some 15 summers, who looked fully two years older, and whose pleasing appearance and manner augured well for both the company and the junior himself. From the day he joined the firm he endeared himself to his fellow employees, and by his diligence, good nature and readiness, at all times, to give his best, he became a universal favourite. As a few years passed, he developed into a fine type of manhood, standing well over six feet, and built proportionately. He was indeed a splendid specimen of an Australian. On the outbreak of war, Storrer was one of the first to offer his services to his country, and we now mourn the loss of a true comrade, who has given his life, so that we may enjoy liberty and honor.

Charles Murray Storrer is buried at Beach Cemetery, Anzac, Turkey.

Karen O'Connor 2015

Henry Haig Storrer (elder brother of Murray), known as Harry, was born in Geelong and when he enlisted was aged 27 years and 2 months, 6' ½", 14st 12 lbs., with grey eyes and fair hair.

He had attended Geelong College and Melbourne University. He was a shipping clerk, and later an accountant at Dennys Lascelles Pty. Ltd. and was a serving officer with the 8th Australian Garrison Artillery at Queenscliff.

By the time he enlisted his father, Harry Storrer, was a Vice-President of Barwon Rowing Club. Harry had joined Barwon Rowing Club in 1905.

At the outbreak of war he had enlisted successfully in the A.I.F but was directed to return to Queenscliff. He applied several times for active service overseas but was held back for home duties, which included bombing instructor at the Geelong Camp. He then entered a course at Duntroon Military College, before qualifying for the Point Cook Aviation School, where he went on to become one of their first instructors.

He enlisted 1 October 1916 in the Australian Flying Corps at Laverton and embarked from Melbourne with No. 2 Squadron on 25 October 1916.

Harry arrived in England on 28 December 1916, was initially appointed as an instructor and then promoted to Flight Commander of 69 Squadron. He arrived in France on 26 August 1917 as part of the first Australian Flying Unit to serve on the Western Front. Three months later the Squadron moved to Flanders; its duties included locating enemy gun emplacements, artillery spotting and bombing patrols.

Henry was killed on 2 December 1917: He was taking off from the aerodrome at Bailleul. A strong wind was blowing at the time, and Capt. Storrer banked in order to avoid some trees. A gust of wind caught the machine and crushed it into a brick wall on the edge of the aerodrome. Both he and his observer were killed instantly. He was buried in the Bailleul Military Cemetery.

A cross for his grave was later made out of pieces from the wrecked aircraft.

At the Newtown Presbyterian Church late in December it was said of him: He was known amongst his intimates as "Smiler" because of his sunny disposition. At the store, on the river, at the Guild, as an officer of His Majesty's Forces, in tent life far away from home amongst strangers, as flight commander, he was the clean-living, good-hearted comrade. Living for his duty he did it in splendid and magnificent style. It was natural that such a man should find his place amongst the most intrepid, adventurous and highest type in the war - the airmen. To know him was to love him: he was modest in his achievements, radiant in disposition, pure and noble in character, kind and courteous to all.

Henry Haigh Storrer is buried at Bailleul Military Cemetery Extension, France.

Karen O'Connor 2015

William Herman Zimmer (known as Bill) was born in Geelong and when he enlisted was aged 19 years and 11 months, 5' 11", 9st. 9 lbs. with blue eyes and dark brown hair. He was a former student of Central College, Geelong.

He worked as a law clerk at the Geelong Courts before being transferred to the Colac Court in 1916, the year he rowed in a winning Barwon Maiden Eight at the Colac Regatta.

Bill had been awarded a certificate from the Royal Humane Society for an attempted life-saving at the Barwon River in 1915 and was engaged to be married to Edie Powell. He had joined Barwon Rowing Club in 1914.

He enlisted on 9 September 1916 in the 57th Battalion as a private; reluctantly from a sense of duty, saying for all I know I could be shooting at Zimmer relations, and embarked from Melbourne on 16 December 1916, arriving in France as a Lance Corporal on 11 October 1917.

Bill was killed on 17 June 1918 at Beurre Sur Ancre, France.

The Red Cross files describe his death: "We were carrying trench mortar shells passing through the old Casualty Clearing Station when Fritz opened up a barrage.” “It nearly took his head off, he died instantly.” “Blew his head clean off”. “Half his face was blown off”. “His death was instantaneous and it was impossible for him to have suffered. He was a good soldier and a splendid worker and his loss was felt by all who know him”. "We made up a cross for his grave and stuck it up”.

His parents later received a letter from one of his friends: I have lost the best friend that I have had on this side of the water. On the night of June 17th the company was moving up towards the front line...when the enemy put up a barrage of shell fire and cut off the two rear platoons, one of which your son was a member of. We retired into a ravine about 200 yards in our rear. Here the men scattered themselves out along the embankment. I was lying about four yards to the right of Bill. We had been fighting there about ten minutes with shells bursting all around us, when just in front of Bill there was a blinding flash, and sticks and earth flew in all directions. A few minutes later I went back to the spot, only to find that, in the space of a few seconds, I had lost my greatest friend and companion – your son. A more sudden death could not have occurred.

Years after his death his father, William Zimmer, by then a police sergeant at Casterton, deposited all of Bill's letters to home with the Australian War Memorial, writing that his son was possessed of a singularly good literary ability and a cheerful disposition.

William Herman Zimmer is buried at Ribemont Communal Cemetery, France.

On his tombstone is written
I fought a good fight,
I finished my course,
I kept the faith.

Karen O'Connor 2015

Civil Service Rowing Club

J. M. Anderson
W. J. Jefferies
G. H. Robertson
H. F. Angwin J. L. Jobson J. S. Robinson, M.M.
C. Blatchford, M.M. E. T. J. Kerby E. Rowe
H. Butler M.C. J L Kiddle, O.B.E., Red Cross W. L. L. Rowe
H. E. Butler E. N Lear M. B. Ryan
M. Cahill, M.C.
R. Living
A. Scarlett
W. J. D. Cahill A. H. Lumsden E. J. B. Schofield
E. K. Carlile C. H. Mahy, M.C. T. C. Seabrook
J. A. Carrodus J. McCaul J. M. Semmens, V.D.
L. C. Cavell P. J. McCormack, D.S.O. E. C. Sievwright
P. Clemens
G. A. McLeod
J. A. Simpson
E. W. Constantine G. C. McNeilage H. E. Spriggins
F. G. Cook W. G. Monks R. R. Steele
G. W. Cox H. Montfort T. A. Taylor
R. Cunningham A. Muntz A. Vines
R. M. Erck
S. F. Napper
C. V. Watson, D.S.O. and Bar
E. J. Gaynor H. C. Parker T. Watson
C. W. Gray C. H. Permezel R. T. Watts
C. H. Holmes, M.C. A. J. Pierce H. H. Wilton, M.S.M.
T. Hooks W. G. Pollock H. Wilson
J. Howieson
H. D. Preston
A. E. Hyland A. Quennell  
A. Jackson H. Rippingale  

Cobram Rowing Club

R. Anderson
W. Levings
F. A. Presnell
J. Colombini A. T. W. Lindsay W. J. Ritchie
W. Colombini Chas. Maple G. S. Strachan
B. Crammond J. O. McAlister R. Thompson
R. S. Duncan L.B.C. Morehouse A. Tuck
R. Grant
D. O'Dwyer
G. Wyatt
G. Hill J. O'Rourke L. A. Wyatt
H. Jackson H. K. B. Paul  
W. Kiehler T. O. Phillips  

Colac Rowing Club

R. Bassett
T. R. Forbes
H. Morrison
E. Carnegie J. Griffin A. Morrow
E. Christie E. Honan G. Murrell
J. Christie I. Howatt P. Parkes
C. Cordner F. Howell S. Parkes
H. Deuchardt G. Johnson A. Sanson
W. Edgar L. Kerr F. Taylor
L. Elston G. C. Lucas  

Corio Bay Rowing Club

H. Beach
S. W. George
P. Moore
O. Bews R. Gilbert C. Myers
C. W. Boyes H. N. Hall N. R. Purnell
N. Bryant H. Haughton R. Quail
W. Buchan A. Heagney L. Reeves
H. T. Burn
A. G. Henry A. B. Robinson
J. Catron, M.C. A. Henry Harry Sadler
A. Cordner W. Hornsey Hector Sadler
J. Costa B. Johansen
V. Sadler
J. Dawson T. Jones J. H. Sinclair
A. Dickson A. Kneisbusch W. E. Thomas
P. Earle
H. Knight F. Vigar
W. Emerson Duncan McIntyre J. Warren
Geoffry Everett F. Marchant A. E. Wynn
Sidney Fox R. Marchant. M.M.  
F. Gavin N. Michael  

Corowa Rowing Club

A. Amery
W. H. Crisfield
R. Laidlaw
F. Bailey T. Francis R. Robertson
B. C. Berry C. Fraser J. Ryan
R. Broadbent L. Hannah F. Sammons
F. Burrows N. Hiskins  
H. Clayton G. Horricks  

Private William Herbert Crisfield, blacksmith of Corowa, was the eldest son of Mr. John Crisfield, veterinary surgeon and equine dentist. William was well known throughout the Riverina for his sporting prowess in rowing, football, coursing and athletics. He enlisted August 1914 in Corowa, left Melbourne in October 1914, was wounded at the historic landing at Gallipoli on 25 April 1914, (severe gun shot wound to the thigh), taken to Alexandria on 30th April 1915 and died there on 6 May 1915. In a letter to authorities, a family friend, Fred Carrigg, noted that William was his father’s favourite son and whilst proud that he fell for his country, grieved terribly for him.

Andrew Guerin 2014

Dimboola Rowing Club

A. Adcock
S. Eddy
J. McKinnon
W. Armstrong R. Emmett B. McLennan
J. Armstrong H. Espie A. McLennan
A. Baddock R. Ey A. Missen
S. Barmby C. Forshaw J. Rodgers
F. Barry H. Fortington K. Ross
W. H. Bond C. Harbourd P. C. Smith
V. Brewer G. Hawke C. W. Taylor
D. Cambridge
A. Hirth
G. Taylor
C. Chidzey L. Hirth A. H. Taylor
F. Christenson A. Hunter A. Telfer
G. Clarke J. Hynes F. J. Thompson
W. B. Clarke C. Gaehne A. Upton
G. Clements W. Jenkins C. Walker
C. W. Collard J. S. Johnson C. F. Wall
C. Collins J. Jordon G. Wall
W. J. Dagett
F. Larkins
A. Williams
A. C. Dalitz W. Laycock E. Williams
C. W. Dalitz E. Lehman C. E. Williams
E. O. Dalitz R. L. Linniker S. Wilson
F. W. Dalitz H. Main A. Wilson
H. C. Dalitz G. G. Martindale E. Woods
E. D'Alton E. McConnan K. Wright
H. D'Alton M. McFarlane W. Youens
K. Druitt A. McKinnon  

Eaglehawk Rowing Club

R. Agnew
G. McWilliam
R. Suhan
H. Clough D. Nelson E. J. Taylor
R. Jenkins H. Nelson H. Williams

Echuca Rowing Club

F. Casey, M.M.
J. O'Loughlin
H. J. Hiscock R. J. Webb  

Essendon Rowing Club

B. Bowring
R. E. Jackson G. Peate
J. Blair K. Jarvie
J. Phillips
H. L. Brew A. Kelly A. J. Pratt
S. H. Cock N. Lukey W. Reidy
A. Conron E. Matthews J. T. Robertson
J. Cotter G. A. Matthews E. Salamon
R. Dale A. McDonald A. Sinclair
G. Dobney C. McKenna H. E Stevens
L. Doig N McKinnon W. Stewart
L. J. Ennis
E. Middleton P. Thorpe
A. Evans J. S. Milne
A. C. Turner
S Evans C. Morgan O. Tyzack
E. J. Fitzmaurice T. Morrow W. G. Warr
A. Flaxman M. G. Muir G Warr
S. Golding R. Mullett G Wippell
J. Grieves A. Muntz A. F. Wishart
J. Harding F. Naylor R. Wishart
L. T. Harding H. R. Newall G. Withy
W. Irving W. Pattison W. Young

Footscray City Rowing Club

H. J. Allan
W. Giblett
E. Roberts
W. Anderson J. Johnson T. Roberts
H. Betts J. Kelleher A. Robinson
J. Brierley A. Jonsson W. Robinson
F. Busteed W. Keys B. Sheppard
A. Campbell E. Louis G. Sheppard
M. Campbell T. F. Martin H. Sheppard
A. Carmichael G. McDonald A. Sims
A. Cunningham
R. McDonald
A. Smith
G. Davidson F. Morgan L. Sneddon
H. V. Davis A. S. Nichols, M.C. R. Swartz
C. Farnbach J. O'Donohue H. Thomas
A. W. B. Fawcett R. Orr S. Thomas
J. Fox W. Parkinson J. Walton
P. Fraser F. Partridge, D.C.M. W. White
B. Frieman S. Partridge  

Hawthorn Rowing Club

A. Antrobus
F. Griffiths
H. Pilkington
A. Atkins L. C. Guy L. F. Reid
H. Beck J. Haley W. Ryan
R. Berryman F. Hall G. Simpson
G. Binnie J. Hill E. Smith
R. Browne R. A. Jackson A. Sorby
W. Bunning, M.C. K. Jones M. Spencer
C. Collister J. Kohlman S. Tilley
W. Cooper
A. W. Lampard
H. Unverhau
A. Cumming S. Little E. Watts
L. Davies K. Mather J. Whittle
T. Davies T. Nelson H. Winters
C. Easthaugh W. O'Shea L. Worn
L. Garnham G. Palmer  
C. Godfrey L. Patterson  

Jeparit Rowing Club

J. Allen
W. Gunn H. Maddern
P. Almond C. E. Hamdorf C. Mann
F. Barry N. Hiscock D. Osmond
T. Bell V. Hutchinson H. Schulze
G. Brown C. Knight C. Shiells
K. Burn W. Lamont F. Stride
A. Caldwell W. Lane F. Tricks
S. Coates A. Lester R. Wall
R. C. C. Currie
R. Lester
R. Wells
R. Dixon D. Livingston W. West
A. Fritsch G. Livingston R. Womersley
F. Girdlor C. Logan  
J. Gunn P. Loxton  

Melbourne University Boat Club

K. F. Abernethy
N. W. Hampton C. W. K. Pearson
R. M. Abernethy A. L. Hancock
J. C. Peel
J. P. Adam J. F. Y. Hanlin R. N. Pillow
F. R. Adams P. G. Hartley, M.M. E. J. G. Pitman
J. W. A. Agnew H. C. Harton H. R. Potter
H. E. Albiston H. R. Hawkins J. R. Porter
H. W. Allen W. I. Haves R. S. Powell
R. S. Anderson W. A. L. Henderson, H. French Croix de Guerre D. Pryde
D. V. K. Anderson M.M. B. Henty N. Pryde
N. A. L. Anderson S. Herriott
E. J. Quirk
J. M. Andrew
R. A. Heslop R. Quirk
S. T. Appleford A. R. Hickinbotham R. A. Ramsay
J. H. B. Armstrong E. M. Higgins J. H. Raverty
W. L. Armstrong Mervyn B. Higgins C. C. Reid
E. F. R. Bage E. W. Hill K. S. Reid
K. H. Bailey G. Hill R. A. Reid
D. G. Bain W. F. Hinman, D.S.O., M.C.
C. C Riddell, D.S.O.
F. O. Balfour-Melville J. R. Hobbs G. H. Richardson
C. L. Baillieu O.B.E. Arthur Hordern
L. E. W. Roberts
J. W. Barrett, K.B.E., C.B., Order of Nile, 3rd Class J. B. C. Hocking
G. O. Robertson
R. D. Bartram, M.C.
P. C. House J. E. Roe
E. K. Berthon E. D. Howells J. D. Rogers, M.C.
N. E. S. Birnie L. J. Howells L. D. Rooney
J. J. Black, D.S.O. M. R. Hughes W. S. Ross, M.C.
A. Booth F. Hunter H. C. Ross
T. F. Borwick, D.S.O. L. E. Hurley T. G Ross, D.S.O.
L. P. Brent O. A. Hutton E. F. Rowntree
F. Brett H. R. Hyett T. J. Ryan
C. J. O. Brown H. A. C. Irving J. B. Sawers
J. N. Brown C. E. S. Jackson
D. M. Sandral
W. H. Brown
J. H. S. Jackson G. C. Scantlebury
M. M. H. Browne T. R. Jagger, M.C. C. H. C. Searby
H. P. Brownell, D.S.O. C. V. Janes D. J. B. Seymour
W. A. J. Buckland F. H. Jenkin, M.M. J. L. W. Sharland
N. J. Bullen P. A. Jenkin C. G. Shaw, D.S.O.
H. E. Bullivant W. R. Jewell J. A. H. Sherwin
J. Burrell E. Jowett J. E. Shilliday
T. N. M. Busst W. R. Keast G. Simpson
H. O. Butler D.S.O. A. L. Keep R. Simpson, D.S.O.
F. Byatt C. H. Kellaway,M.C.
J. G. Sleeman
C. P. Callister,
F. G. Kellaway, M.C. A. G. Sloane
C. R. Campbell L. H. Kelly H. R Smith.
N. L. Campbell M. B. Kelly, M.C. N. G. D. Smith
S. J. Campbell A. E. Kelso S. Wright-Smith, M.C.
A. G. Carve, M.C. E. J. Kerr P. Carew-Smyth
F. S. Carse G. T. Kerr B. C. S. S. Southwell
L. M. Caygill F. B. Kitchen H. Ross-Soden
H. Chamberlain F. C. Knight J. Ross-Soden
H. W. Charlton John Lang R. A. Spence
E. W. Chenoweth P. H. Lang
Alan Spowers, M.C., D.S.O.
G. F. Cherry
S. S. Lang J. St. G. Sproule, M.C.
T. McF. Cherry F. C. Langlands H. R. Stafford, M.M.
A. L. Clark A. Laughlin, M.C. W. Stanley
H. C. Clark A. Lazarus R. R. Stawell
H. C. K. Clarkson S. C. Lazarus K. A. Stephenson
W. H. Collins, D.S.O. W. A. Leckie H. B. Stewart
J. Connor W. W. Leggatt, M.C. C. L. Stilwell
R. M. Cooke O. G. Lewis F. M. Stirling
G. A. Cook, M.C. A. G. R. Lilford. M.C. H. L. Stokes
J. S. Cook J. H. Lindon, M.C.
T. N. H. Stretch, M.C. and Bar
E. Coppel
C. R. Lister E. H. Sutcliffe
A. G. Corbett C. W. B. Littlejohn, M.C.; 1914 Star, Mons ; Belgian Croix de Guerre H. Sutherland
S. O. Cowen E. I. Littlejohn E. H. Sutherland
S. E. Craig W. H. Long Harvey Sutton
H. F. Creswick N. A. Longden R. E. Sutton
R. H. Crisp A. W. Lord A. D. Syme
C. E. Crooke J. Love R. I. Sweetnam
E. Cudmore V. F. S. Low F. W. Taylor
R. Cuttle W. A. Luke J. W. Train
W. K. Davenport C. V. Mackay
H. H. Trigge
C. E. Davis, D.S.O.
G. E. Mackay D. E. Trumpy
G. E. Davis J. S. Mackay, M.C. and Bar, D.S.O. E. L. Vercoe
J. V. K. Deravin R. G. Mackay F. W. F. Waitt
F. P. Derham, D.S.O. C. F. Macdonald D. E. Wanklyn
E. H. Derrick W. MacGregor I. W. Wark
H. C. Disher L. H. B. Macleod A. R. Waterhouse
A. F. S. Dobson N. A. Maclure W. H. Waters
K. McK. Doig, M.C. N. H. MacNeil, M.C. and Bar R. F. Watson
J. R. Donaldson Guy Madden C. E. Watson, M.C.
W. E. Donaldson F. H. S. Mair
C. M. Webb
N. Dooley
L. R. Marks V. G. Webb
J. L. Doubleday N. R. Mathews, M.C. C. W. W. Webster
H. P. Down R. M. T. Matthews, M.C. E. R. Welch
J. S. Drought, M.C. H. C. Maudsley, K.B.E., C.M.G. G. Wertheim
A. Duffy P. McCallum R. Wertheim
A. Gavan Duffy F. McCallum J. L. Wharton
D. M. Gavan Duffy, M.C. N. McColl A. W. Wheatley
C. Duncombe John McDonald N. B. White
K. D. Fairley H. T. J. McGuigan W. P. White
N. W. Faulkner,M.C., M.M. E. B. McKay
E. H. Whitehead
F. W. Fay, M.C. and Bar
J. G. McKay H. J. Whiting
T. S. Fetherstonhaugh C. T. McKenna L. E. Wilkinson
A. G. B. Fisher R. V. McKenzie A. S. Williams
S. C. Fitzpatrick, M.C. A. McLean, M.C. and Bar C. G. Williams
J. T. Flockhart, M.M. L. H. B. McLeod C. M. Williams, M.C.
L. J. Foreman A. E. Middleton J. R. Williams
R. Fowler, O.B.E. E. C. Miller A. M. Wilson, D.S.O.
A. R. Fox F. J. B. Miller R. Witteron
S. E. Francis N. A. Miller C. S. Wood
A. C. Fraser H. D. Mills
E. W. B. Woods, M.C.
D. M. Fraser
L. J. C. Mitchell J. G. Woods
W. A. Fraser, D.S.O. N. H. Mitchell J. O. Woods
W. R. Frayne F. H. H. Moran L. S. Woods
G. D. Garde J. G. Morris R. G. Woods
H. I. Gibb G. N. I. Morrison F. E. Wright
S. G. Gibson, M.C. H. O. Moule T. G. Wynne
E. I. Giles N. S. Nash, M.C., French Croix deGuerre James W. Young
J. E. Gillespie J. D. Nicholson J. W. Young
J. W. Grice F. K. Norris  
W. H. Godby J. D. Norris
W. H. Gosse, M.C.
F. K. Officer, O.B.E., M.C.  
J. S. Green T. D. Oldham  
D. P. Greenham F. A. O'Hara  
J. W. Griffiths T. Parnell  
M. E. deB. Griffiths F. K. Pearce  
G. R. Grimwade H. E. Pearce  
A. E. E. Grounds L. T. Pearce, D.C.M.  
P. M. Hamilton W. B. Pearce  

LT Noel “Stringy” Stretch MC and bar – student of Brighton Melbourne, son of an Anglican Bishop. Rowed at Geelong Grammar and finished second in the Head of the River in 1912. Rowed for his college, Trinity at Melbourne University. Enlisted 17th Aug 1914 at the age of 21 with the rank of private. Promoted to Sergeant on 9th September 1914. Granted a commission in the British Army on 19 April 1915. He died of wounds received in battle in France. His two other brothers served and survived WWI. He was "awarded the Military Cross for conspicuously gallant leadership and skilful handling of his Section of machine guns in the operations in the Ypres Salient on 31.7.1917. He was awarded a Bar to the Military Cross for conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty from 20th to 22nd September 1917, east of Ypres. His cheerful and courageous example greatly inspired his men”.
His father was "grievously saddened, by the loss of a cherished son in the war”.

Andrew Guerin 2014

Mercantile Rowing Club

G. E. Anderson
A. J. Hopkins
L. Nichols, M.M.
A. Aubrey J. A. Ilsey G. E. Nicholson
E. Baum C. Jacobs J. E. Reidy
L. Y. Butler L. Johnston G. Robertson
R. A. Cooper N. Johnston R. J. Roberston
J. W. Cumberland, M.S.M. B. Kerr F. W Simcocks
W. B. Davey R. Kerr J. G. H. Sprigg
L. Elliott J. E. Kendall H. E. Stevens
S. Gorm A. R. Lingham F. Stirling
S. Guinn W. MacDonald, M.C. J. M. Sturrock, M.M.
D Hamilton J. Morrison R. Treacy
A. Harvey R. Morrison R. C. Vincent
A. Henry J. L. Mounsey, D.C.M. F. Wellings
F. Hill N. C. Nation H. H. Wilks, M.C.
    K. Wootton

Six Mercantile members died in WWI. Three of them came from one junior eight which won at Henley in 1914, the last full season before the war. They were:
J W Cumberland
N C Nation
N Johnson

This crew obviously enjoyed their rowing and the company of each other. They had won the maiden eight double at Upper Yarra and Albert Park Lake Regattas in the previous season and had kept together through winter to race at the junior level. Henley regatta in those days was not only then first regatta of the season in late October, but also the biggest and most prestigious regatta. They were the next generation of senior oarsmen who were lost to the Club in WWI. In the 1921-22, three new fours were named in their honour.

JW Cumberland, known as William, was the last Mercantile member to die in this conflict, only months before the Armistice. He was a popular Club member. He was a member of the Committee and, for a short period before enlistment, was acting Vice-Captain. He won the Points Trophy for the most successful oarsman in the 1913-14 season. William Cumberland was a clerk at WD & HO Wills (Australia) Ltd and enlisted 20th December 1915. He lived at 175 Lee Street North Carlton. Four months later on 4th April 1916, he travelled to Egypt on the Euripides and disembarked at Suez on 12th May 1916. He was transferred to the British Expeditionary Force which embarked from Alexandria later that month for France. His great leadership qualities were soon recognized being promoted in the field to Lance Corporal on 3rd August 1916, and then to Corporal on 27th October 1916, less than a year after enlistment. He suffered severe trench foot in the winter of 1916 which saw him transferred to England for treatment. This meant that he probably lost some parts of his foot for this to occur. Trench foot was an infection of the feet caused by cold, wet and insanitary conditions. By June 1917, he was classified as fit and returned to his Battalion. By September 1917 he was again promoted in the field to Lance Sergeant. But then later that month, he was wounded in action with a gun-shot to the chest. One can only assume that such a wound have most probably arisen from a frontal assault so common in WWI. It was so severe that he was sent back to England for treatment. By January 1918, three months later, he was fit enough to return to war. On 17th June 1918 he was awarded the Meritorious Service Medal, a significant bravery award. He was now a battle hardened and highly experienced soldier, a leader of men. He was in all respects a distinguished soldier. On 25th June 1918, he was promoted in the field to Sergeant. On 9th August 1918, he was wounded in action with gun-shot wounds to the leg and head. Such wounds again are consistent with another frontal assault on the enemy. He died the next day. He was buried in the Vignacourt British Cemetery in France. In a letter to his father in 1919 he was described as a brave and gallant soldier whose magnificent conduct in the field of battle has helped to earn Australian soldiers great fame.

Norman Nation was aged 27 and a half years old when he joined up in December 1915 at the recruiting office at Melbourne Town Hall. He was a relatively tall man for that time being a six footer but very light. He was the perfect build for a modern lightweight.
He was the only child of Charles and Phoebe Nation and was born in Sydney. In Melbourne, they lived in Armadale. He was listed variously as an accountant and a clerk in his working life and the army initially put him to work in Melbourne. He was promoted to corporal on 16th April 1916. However as the war continued on, reinforcements were needed. On 1st August 1916, he departed Melbourne for France. He returned to the rank of private and joined the front line soldiering in France with 24th Battalion. He was rapidly promoted to lance corporal in February 1917 and on 11th May 1917 promoted to Second Lieutenant as a temporary Commission of the British Army. To be promoted in the field to an officer obviously indicates a man of leadership skills.
The lifespan of front line officers in WWI on the Western Front was short, akin to the lifespan of WWII bomber pilots. He died in the attack on Daisy Wood on 9th October 1917, the first stages of the Passchendaele battle. He was shot in the head from sniper fire. The whole operation was a disaster with Norman’s 24th Battalion suffering the worst casualties with 9 officers and 104 men listed as casualties. Lieutenant Norman Nation, together with Captain Williams and Lieutenant Pickett advanced into enemy fire to bomb the German positions. They led this dangerous task from the front. It was an act of great courage, valour and leadership.
Norman was buried by a party from his Battalion on the day of his death near Polygon Wood, approximately 500m NE of Broodseinde. His body was found and reinterred into the Tyne Cot British Cemetery at Passchendaele in 1921.

Andrew Guerin 2014

Nagambie Rowing Club

A. Bazeley
W. Forbes G. W. Orpwood, M.M.
E. Bazeley, M.C. R. B. Gadd
R. A. Orpwood
John Beretta J. Gifford J. Roache
Joseph Beretta H. L. Johnson R. Ross
L. Chapman W. Johnson F. Sullivan
R. Chapman S. R. Lobb H. Sullivan
W. Chapman C. McDonald R. E. Sullivan, M.M. and Bar
B. Coe E. A. McDonald W. C. Sullivan
G. Coe S. McDonald V. Sullivan
G. C. Cowan B. McIntosh W. Wilson
O. Cox W. Melbourne H. Woods
J. Dibbens E. Meyers  
R. Duggan, M.M E. Newnham  

Richmond Rowing Club

H. Bartram
L. Hede
L. Mitchell
J. Clowes R. Henderson W. McIntosh
H. Dunn L. Hatfield I. Podmore
R. Faulkner S. Jenkins H. Stevens
A. Girling L. Jarvie S. Stevens
R. Harrison J. Johnston G. Tudor
R Hearn B. King T. Tonkin
F. Hede J. Lilley W. Waltho

Rutherglen Lake Rowing Club

A. Amery
P. J. Hill
J. McQuade
H. S. Bush C. Hiskens
G. Newbound
F. Fuge
A. Jack J. H. Nott, M.C. and Bar, Croix deGuerre
P. Fullerton F. Jayett Geo. Smith
H. Gayfer F. Jones F. Taylor
A. Gnaden J. Jones H. R. Taylor
M. Hill J. Loughnan, M.C. J. Wirges

Sale Rowing Club

H. Bain
W. Gibbs
W. Richardson
C. Baron J. Griffith E. Rowell
E. Baum* D. Hutchison S. Ryder
H. A. Baum, M.M. L. James W. J. Thornley
G. Bearup F. Kenealy R. Wallace
L. Bird N. Linderman S. Williams, M.M.
P. Davis R. S. McColl, M.M. A. F. Wollard
C. Eldridge J. McIntosh  
G. Fidler G. Oliver *Also Mercantile R.C. list.

Sandhurst Rowing Club

W. Alderman
C. Heffernan
D. Ross
A. Baud G. Helsham T. Ross
A. Beebe A. E. Hempel M. Ryan
A. Blennerhassett S. Hewitt V. Ryan
W. Bolton C. Hicks C. Simpson
E. Button J. Hildabrandt W. Smith
W. Carve R. Holl N. Stevens
S. Clarke H. H. Hunter S. Stevens
W. Coates L. Iser C. Strachan
L. Cohn C. Jess, D.S.O. E. Strahan
C. Connelly J. J. Jordan M. Straughair
E. W. Connelly
F. Kelly
J. Taylor
K. Crookston F. Levy C. Teasdale
H. Denholm, M.M. B. Lewers G. Thompson
H. Emanuel J. Looms J. Thompson
C. Foden J. Lynch R. Unger
R. Fowler F. McEwan O. Whitelaw
T. Francis J. McLoughlin E. Williams
R. Hansen E. Millward T. Williams, D.S.O.
B. Harrison E. Morcom P. Wills
W. Hastings F. E. Mundelein  
F. Hayes F. Pool  

Seymour Rowing Club

P. Cocks
R. Doyle
G. Lambden
C. Doyle F. Jones H. Tasker
E. Doyle W. Jones J. T. Wheeler

South Melbourne Rowing Club

W. Allan S. Hutcheson, M.M. W. Nolan
G. P. Anderson N. Jackson V. Rees
C. Bond H. Jones Dr. Rock
N. Campbell H. Kennett J. Scanlon, D.S.O. and Bar
C. Clarke F. L. Loud A. Ternes
A. Crook L. Lowe
G. Tully
W. Curtis P. J. Maher G. Turnbull
W. Dehn E. B. McKay V. Whelan
A. W. Graham J. Meens T. Wilkinson
J. Hadaway J. Minford  

Wahgunyah Rowing Club

A. Amery
J. Grantham, D.C.M.
G. Newbound
W. Barrow G. Grimmond J. Newman
H. Bayliss J. Guiroud D. O'Leary
P. Blandon M. J. Hill J. Palethorp
J. Clark N. Hiskins S. Patterson
A. E. Dunn L. Irwin R. Robinson
J. Figgins T. Liddicoat C. Sutcliffe
R. Figgins L. Marks M. Taylor
J. Fisher T. McFadyen F. Tyghe
P. Fullerton A. McLennon J. Whittaker
J. Gayfer J. McMillan  

Wangaratta Rowing Club

C. Edwards G King N Reid

Warrnambool Rowing Club

E. Artso
V. Flett
J. O'Donnell
G. Butler L. Gartlan C. F. Robinson
R. Chapman W. Hope Robinson
P. Curtis K. McDougall W. Sarll
T. Dwyer S. Murphy H. J. Thompson

Edward Artso was 23 years old when he enlisted, having been previously rejected for being too short. He was only 5 feet 2 inches tall. His occupation was listed as a carpenter. Whilst serving with 29th Battalion, Edward received gun-shot wounds to his back and right arm on 10th May 1918 in action in France. He subsequently died from these wounds on 18th May 1918. He was buried at the British Cemetery at Vignacourt on 25th May 1918.

Leo Gartlan was 21 and a half when he enlisted. His occupation was listed as a cabinet maker at Warrnambool Furnishing Company. Leo saw much action and was wounded in action on 4th November 1916 with a ‘mild’ gun-shot wound to the head. He recuperated in England before returning to the front in June 1917. He was taken on strength by the 11th Battalion but killed in action in France on 18th August 1917. His remains were never found.

Roy Chapman was a 21 year old blacksmith when he enlisted in 1916. He was sent to Egypt and arrived in October 1916. His full service was in Egypt. He died of malaria and bronchitis at Gaza Egypt on 28th October 1918 and was buried at the military cemetery at Gaza. Not much is known of Roy other than he was a signaller of the first signal troop with the Australian Engineers. Also he obviously was not one for taking orders well. He was disciplined for disobedience and being absent without leave for a few hours early in his overseas service.

Tim Dwyer was a 22 and a half road contractor when he enlisted in April 1916. He rose to the rank of Lance Corporal on 5th February 1917 but was killed in action on 11th April 1917 near Bullecourt in France. He was with 46th Battalion who were part of the first Bullecourt Battle. The 46th lost 9 officers and 364 other ranks in this battle.

Private Harold George “Jack” Thompson, was killed in 1918. Formally a grocer’s assistant at Swinton’s and a rowing Club cox, succeeding one of his brothers, he had piloted his crew to victory in the Colac Junior Fours in 1915. His four brothers had also enlisted.

Andrew Guerin 2015

Wendouree Rowing Club

J. Anderson
H. Gilbert
C. Ogilvie
W. Barnes G. Grant F. Peart
J. Bell C. Greenway H. Peart
B. Benaim C. Greenwood E. Pollard
R. Bennett A. Grove C. Reynolds
W. Berry R. Hammond H. Rintel
R. Brandenburg F. Harris B. Roberts, D.C.M.
E. T. Brind J. F. Hewitt W. Roff
E. Britt W. Horman C. Rooney
A. Brudenall C. Hoskin, M.M. E. Sampson
A. A. Burrow B. Humffray C. Schafer
B. Burrow C. Hutchins L. Simpson
A. Cameron H. James H. Sumner
A. Campbell R. Kopke N. Timmins
M. Collins R. Kitchen M. Walker
E. Cooper F. Larkins B. Wallace
E. Dark W. J. Lee T. Wilkins
E. Daw H. Lingham, M.S.M. A. Wilson
L. Daw E. Muir Alf. Wilson
H. Day C. McGann F. Wilson
E. Desmond D. McGrath H. Wilson
J. Dunstan H. McIntyre J. Woodhead
J. Dwight O. Nevett N. Woolcott
C. Fenton A. Nicholas A. Youens
C. Fitzgerald G. Oates, D.S.O.  
W. Gates, D.C.M. F. O'Callaghan  

Yarra Yarra Rowing Club

P. C. Arnold
N. Gibson
R. S. Moore
O. Batson A. Glance E. Oliver
H. Beeson H. Goodland B. O'Mullane
R. Phillips F. Hall R. Phillips
P. Born A. P. Harbeck P. Podmore
B. Burke E. A. Heathcote A. S. Rankine
P. Burke H. Heathcote L. Salthouse
E. Christie A. J. Holloway S. E. Scott
C. Cohen A. Kennedy T. A. Shanahan
E. A. Collins L. A. Kennedy J. Skene
J. D. Cook F. G. Lloyd Q. Smith
H. Dench J. McConnell J. Stapleton
G. Drew H. McFarlane G. I. Stevenson, C.M.G., D.S.O.
E. Ellis J. McPherson J. Valiance
J. Enticott J. Millsom C. Walker, M.M.
E. A. Evans H. Miskin C. J. Willson

Last updated 13th January 2016


Appendix 5 page 1 2

< previous Appendix 4 - Clubs

> next Appendix 6 - WWII Roll of Honour

top of page